Whether you’re looking to make a blanket for a baby, a slightly older child, or even an adult, a basic blanket can be super simple to whip together in no time! While there are tons of tutorials on YouTube, we thought we’d just give you the basics on how to put a baby blanket together in just a few minutes.
Here’s what you’ll need:
1 1/2 yard of cotton print (width of fabric should be 44/45 which is standard).
1 1/2 yard of flannel (you can also use a minky fabric if you’d like)
sewing machine and coordinating thread
Ready? Let’s get started!
1.Prewash cotton fabric and iron.
2.Spread out flannel on large surface like a table or the floor right side up
3.Place cotton fabric right side down on top of the flannel. Line up the edges. (Try matching up a corner and pinning it together and then working the two sides from there. The third and fourth sides may not exactly line up…it happens. If you want to square up the cotton fabric before starting, feel free to do so.)
4.Trim with fabric scissors using the cotton fabric as a guide so that you have two pieces the same size.
4.Don’t move the fabric once it has been cut and pin all the way around.
Now it’s time to Sew!
5. Take pinned blanket to the sewing machine and sew at a 5/8 seam allowance with the flannel on the bottom. Back stitch at the beginning and end leaving a 6 inch opening.
6. Trim corners. Be sure not to trim through threads, leave about 1/8 of fabric.
7. Turn blanket right side out
8. Pin 6 inch opening closed.
9. Take blanket to sewing machine (flannel on the bottom) and with coordinating thread, sew 1/4 inch all around the blanket smoothing with your finger and assuring there are no bubbles and wrinkles as you go. (You can rub the seam between your fingers and finger press to help it stay flat). Back stitch at the start and stop.
And you’re done! Super easy, right? Now go forth and make a ton of blankets for everyone you know! (They make great gifts!)